.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tazwert

Sunday, October 20, 2002

Pat Gleason: Rising Comics Star.

THE MIDWEST'S RISING STAR:
PATRICK GLEASON TALKS 'NOBLES CAUSES,' 'HAWKMAN' & 'JSA'
by Arune Singh, Staff Writer
Posted: October 17, 2002
If you're one of those people who thinks that DC Comic's "JSA" has exhausted it's star power, think again: the newest creator to emerge with buzz from that series is artist Patrick Gleason, whose art on "JSA #39" has been turning heads. Add to that work on Image's critically acclaimed "Noble Causes: First Impressions" mini-series and high-profile pencils in "Hawkman Secret Files & Origins #1," and you can see why many people are looking at Gleason's career carefully. CBR News caught up with the artist at FALLCON in St. Paul, Minnesota last weekend and spoke to him about his career thus far.

"I always drew as a kid, did my own comics and eventually met Doug Mahnke," explains Gleason of his career's roots. "He showed me how to put together a portfolio and the basics of it all, so I took it to Chicago where I met Brian Vaughn. He was a writer on 'X-Men Unlimited' at the time and he got me my first work at Marvel on 'X-Men Unlimited #22.' That's how I broke in and after that, I assisted Doug for a few years. I don't know why I've always liked comics so much- it's been a strange obsession I guess. It's what I've always done and I like the idea of being able to tell a story. Maybe it's even a power trip, being able to create a world and do whatever you want in it, constantly testing yourself, coming up with new ways of pushing things- it's all really rewarding."
(rest of the story)